Cauliflower Fried Rice

Tested & Perfected Recipes
Cauliflower Fried Rice

This Chinese-style cauliflower fried rice is a healthy, low-carb dish that’s hearty enough to serve as a main course.

cauliflower fried rice

Cauliflower rice, or cauliflower grated into rice-like bits, really does taste similar to rice, or at least it behaves similarly by soaking up all the flavor of its seasonings. In this quick and easy cauliflower fried rice recipe, I sauté grated cauliflower with aromatics, vegetables, soy sauce, and eggs, much like Chinese-style fried rice. It’s a healthy, low-carb dish that’s hearty enough to serve as a main course.

What You’ll Need To Make Cauliflower Fried Rice

ingredients

You’ll likely be able to find grated cauliflower in the produce or frozen vegetable section of your supermarket. But if not, it’s simple to make using a food processor (use the grating disc) or hand grater.

grated-cauliflower-rice

How To Make Cauliflower Fried Rice

As with any quick stir-fry, it’s important to have all of your ingredients prepped before you start cooking.

mise-en-place

Begin by heating a few teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat until scrambled.

scrambled-eggs

Set the eggs aside, then sauté the scallions, ginger, and garlic in oil until softened.

garlic-scallions-ginger

Add the grated cauliflower, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, and salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes.

adding-cauliflower-soy-sauce

Add the peas and carrots and continue cooking until the cauliflower “rice” is tender-crisp and the vegetables are warmed through, a few minutes.

adding-peas-carrots

Stir in the rice vinegar, sesame oil, dark green scallions, nuts (if using), and scrambled eggs.

adding-eggs-scallions-nuts

Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve hot and enjoy!

cauliflower-fried-rice-1

You Might Also Like

Cauliflower Fried Rice

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients

• Vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • Salt
  • 1 cup chopped scallions, light and green parts separated (you'll need 5-6 scallions)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger, from a 1-inch knob
  • One 2-lb head cauliflower (or 2 pounds ready to cook' cauliflower)
  • 4-5 tablespoons soy sauce (use gluten-free if needed)
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
  • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Asian/toasted sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped cashews or peanuts (optional)

Instructions

1. Grate the cauliflower in a food processor fitted with the grating disc. Alternatively, grate on the large holes of a box or hand-held grater. Set aside. (Skip this step if using 'ready to cook' cauliflower rice.)
  2. Heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large (10 or 12-inch) nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and a pinch of salt and scramble until the eggs are cooked. Transfer to a small plate and set aside. Wipe the pan clean.
  3. Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan and set over medium heat. Add the light scallions, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the grated cauliflower, 4 tablespoons of the soy sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes. Add the peas and carrots and continue cooking until the cauliflower "rice" is tender-crisp and the vegetables are warmed through, a few minutes. Stir in the rice vinegar, sesame oil, dark green scallions, nuts (if using) and eggs. Taste and adjust seasoning (adding the remaining tablespoon of soy sauce if necessary). Serve hot.

Nutrition Information

Powered by Edamam

• Per serving (4 servings)
  • Serving size: about 2 cups
  • Calories: 273
  • Fat: 17 g
  • Saturated fat: 2 g
  • Carbohydrates: 22 g
  • Sugar: 8 g
  • Fiber: 7 g
  • Protein: 12 g
  • Sodium: 1717 mg
  • Cholesterol: 93 mg

This website is written and produced for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional data on this site has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration. Nutritional information is offered as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. The data is calculated through an online nutritional calculator, Edamam.com. Although I do my best to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their own nutrition fact sources and algorithms. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.

Gluten-Free Adaptable Note

To the best of my knowledge, all of the ingredients used in this recipe are gluten-free or widely available in gluten-free versions. There is hidden gluten in many foods; if you're following a gluten-free diet or cooking for someone with gluten allergies, always read the labels of your ingredients to verify that they are gluten-free.

See more recipes:

Reviews & Comments

• This was great! Thank you! I’ll be making it again. I used it for Weight Watchers. Perfecto! I switched out the soy sauce for coconut liquid aminos. I used coconut sugar instead of regular sugar. It also fit in my gluten-free lifestyle since I have celiac disease. Thank you!!

• — Elizabeth on March 3, 2021
  • Love, love, love this recipe – and it’s a vegetable!! How can something so good for you also taste so good?! It really does taste like fried rice…I can’t stop eating it. My daughter tried to substitute rice for the cauliflower; don’t do it – it was way too salty.

• — Lulu on February 23, 2021
  • This is awesome!!! I used 1tsp mirin instead of sugar and added chicken in 1/4 c chicken broth. I used sam’s cauliflower rice. 2 – 12oz packages. This is a keeper and regular in the healthy meal rotation. Thank you!!

• — Cindy on February 13, 2021
  • I made the recipe exactly as listed with Costco frozen rice and something didn’t taste right to me. I couldn’t figure out if I just missed the taste of regular fried rice, the Costco rice needed something done before cooking or I needed to add seasoning. I didn’t like this as much as the reviews suggested.

• — Emma Wells on February 11, 2021
    • I’m confused by your review. You say you used rice… but the recipe uses cauliflower. So… wouldn’t that be the issue?

• — Cookin’iteasy on March 16, 2021
  • So good!!! Regular fried rice is always greasy and bland. This has so much more flavor, is healthy, and isn’t a lesser version of the real dish. I absolutely love this!

• — Roxanne on February 1, 2021
    • Loved this! Added some extra veg and served as main course. Will definitely make again

• — Suzanne on February 23, 2021
  • a lot of people could easily be put off by the lengthy amount prep But, it is sooooooooooooo worth the time taken – absolutely delicious.

• — roger kennington on February 1, 2021
  • My husband is diabetic, just tried this recipe and we live it. Added some baby bok choy for a little more crunch. Served with Grilled Flank Steak that was marinated in Soy Sauce, Ginger, and Garlic. Great dinner. Thanks!

• — Judy Benson on January 31, 2021
  • This is super easy and delicious! I had all the ingredients on hand and it was on the table in about thirty minutes. Thanks Jenn!

• — Anne M on January 29, 2021
  • This recipe is perfect! My daughter was on a restricted diet, could not have rice. This brought fried rice back into our home. Each of the ingredient compliments the other. This recipe can be put together quickly, and we added water chestnuts and celery for extra crunch.( per my daughter’s request for crunch). I had all the ingredients on hand and was able to stir fry it up easily. Just a note, it tastes great the next day cold when someone was searching the fridge for something to take for lunch. Thank you for giving my daughter fried rice back, and a very healthy recipe too.

• — AnnEllen Feltcorn on January 29, 2021
  • Wow. This is by far the best cauliflower fried rice ever. Even my 12 year old daughter devoured it. I didn’t change a thing except that I omitted nuts due to allergy.

• — Janet on January 28, 2021
  • A family favorite. If you notice water starting to pool in the bottom of the pan, spoon it out before adding the oil/vinegar. Something the cauliflower releases a lot of water which can make it tricky to get the rice crispy. Also great to “hide” minced fresh spinach in this dish.

• — Meg M on January 28, 2021
  • A new “meatless” favourite!

I’d suggest following the recipe without substitutions except for the frozen carrots and peas — prefer grated carrot and sliced snow peas instead.

• — Kathy on January 28, 2021
    • I am going to use this suggestion and pehaps add some bok choy as well. Jenn is fabulous!!!!

Thanks so much.

• — Carol Smaldino on February 4, 2021
  • I’ve made this numerous times, but I always start with riced cauliflower bags to cut down the process and cleaning. Also, I use less soy and no rice vinegar and extra garlic and ginger. I found that mine became too “liquid-y”. So good and healthy. Thanks, Jen!

• — Mary on January 28, 2021
  • This dish is a delight! It converted me and my family from grated-cauliflower-skeptics to wholehearted enthusiasts! It is easy to prepare and tastes so light and flavorful. I usually use it as a side dish because of my oldest and youngest who want more than vegetables at dinner, but the rest of us could happily eat it as a main dish. I’m looking forward right now to using the cauliflower in my fridge to make this dish for dinner tonight. Thank you Jennifer!

• — Gigi on January 28, 2021
  • Tried this fried rice and it was delicious! Super easy to make my family loved it!

• — Lilia Rohling on January 28, 2021
  • This is a recipe I make over and over again. I make a large batch of it and divide it into 4 bowls. Two for dinner that night, and two get Saran wrapped for later in the week. Very heathy dish (except I use a whole package of bacon!) and super tasty. Whenever I post pics of this dish, I always get asked for the recipe!!! Also- I add a few more eggs, as we like to get ample protein with our dinners.

• — Dee on January 28, 2021
  • Cauliflower rice has changed the game for me! I’m Cajun and rice is a staple, but I’m trying to reduce my carb intake. Came across this amazing recipe, and it blew my mind. I can’t tell that it’s cauliflower!! Shared some with my brother, and he ate it without realizing that it wasn’t actually rice. Perfect!

• — Shannon Wright on January 28, 2021
  • I tried this and it was absolutely delicious. My husband and I loved it. I also added some bits of chicken in mine. However, its just like a salad and might not be so filling. I ate mine with potatoes. I would keep the rest and eat with Nigerian jollof rice tomorrow.

• — Favour Elegbede on January 23, 2021
  • Absolutely delicious! I add some leftover brown rice and topped with Trader Joe’s onion crunch. Can’t wait to have it for lunch tomorrow.

• — Susan Oher on January 13, 2021
  • Best to research Canola Oil ~ https://draxe.com/nutrition/canola-oil-gm/

• — Glory on January 13, 2021
  • Just made this and had to leave a review!! It’s become a routine for me and my husband to make a delicious meal and a dessert on weekends. A few months ago I was introduced to your blog and haven’t looked back. You’re our go-to on weekends when we want to have fun and enjoy using our new kitchen. This recipe was so fun to make, left our kitchen smelling divine, and tasted delicious!! It was our first experiment with cauliflower rice using our food processor rather than pre-riced. Exceptional flavor. Paired it with your Sweet Chili Thai Salmon for a plate-licking dinner! Thanks for your easy to follow blog and delicious recipes!! Re-making your chicken pot pie tomorrow and can’t wait!

Happy New Year!

• — Taylor on January 9, 2021
    • So glad you’re enjoying the recipes! 🙂

• — Jenn on January 11, 2021
  • I’ve been a long-time fan of this cauliflower stir-fry rice, and today I adapted it with my leftover BROWN rice from the Chinese restaurant. Equally DELICIOUS!!! And I feel great making the leftover rice into something new, nutritious & tasty!! Thanks again Jenn!

• — Barrie on January 4, 2021
  • This recipe is a miracle for those of us on low-carb diets. Substantive, flavorful and fulfilling. I will note that I used only a 1-lb bag of riced cauliflower – that’s all I had on hand – and followed everything else pretty closely. I used frozen peas and shredded purple cabbage for veggies. I loved every bite and can’t wait for leftovers.

• — Jennifer on January 2, 2021
  • Unfortunately for me this is one of the rare recipes on this fantastic website that did not work for me . Maybe it was because I eat a lot of rice and the texture was different , maybe there just wasn’t enough flavour / salt – I had to add a lot of salt and extra soy sauce to make it work . Maybe it is due to expecting to have a brilliant taste with every single recipe I try on this website as 9/10 times this is the case but not this time .
    That doesn’t stop me from trying the other cauliflower recipes – the roast and the gratin both look exciting . Never mind .

• — Louise on December 19, 2020
  • This is amazing. I’ve never been able to pull off yummy fried rice…even real. This is delicious!

• — Jules on December 18, 2020
  • Great recipe! I added left over steak (large diced) and used large diced asparagus and red pepper instead of carrots and peas.

• — Leigh Floyd on December 16, 2020
  • Just made this tonight with baked Asian chicken – wow, delicious! I used dried ginger and ready-to-cook cauliflower with vegetables medley. So easy and very flavorful! Once again, a winner from Jen!

• — Kathy on December 15, 2020
  • Thank you for a very tasty recipe. I used dried ginger, half coconut amino half soy sauce. My mixed veggies had corn, green beans, and carrots, as that’s what I had on hand. I used chili sauce once I sat down to eat. Will most definitely make again.

• — Nikki on December 1, 2020
    • Very good taste. Just like regular fried rice. Thank you

• — Çharlene Martin on December 4, 2020
  • Wow wow wow! Easy and absolutely delicious; the fresh ginger is perfect! Honestly, it’s better than any fried rice I’ve had!

• — Jennah on November 30, 2020
  • I made this for dinner tonight, and it was absolutely delicious! Super flavorful and satisfying. Better than regular fried rice I’ve had at some restaurants before even! I added in mushrooms and tofu. I will definitely be keeping this dish in my regular rotation!

• — Missy on November 22, 2020
  • Thank you! This recipe was easy and delicious.

• — Celeste on November 12, 2020
  • This dish is excellent! I have tried a few cauliflower rice dishes and they have all been blah. This one is delicious! My boys and husband loved it as well! We all like a bit of heat, so I added a little more crushed red pepper and I used edamame in lieu of peas (boys have something against peas for some reason…). Thank you for yet another amazingly delicious recipe!

• — Wendy on October 22, 2020
  • Jenn. you say two pounds ready to cook
    Tried that with already riced and way too much cauliflower
    If I am buying it already riced, how many ounces should I use
    Thanks, carol

• — Carol Winkelman on October 22, 2020
    • Hi Carol, you’ll need 32 ounces. Hope that helps!

• — Jenn on October 23, 2020
      • That’s what I did, 32 ounces already riced was enough for an army. I had to change pots mid way through and the flavor was lacking. Guess I will have to rice it myself and see how many cups I get

• — Carol Winkelman on October 23, 2020
  • first time i experiment with cauliflower rice. Big success! this recipe is perfect. My partner could not believe it wasn’t rice 😁

• — Rosaria Imbroglia on October 22, 2020
  • EVERYONE – THIS RECIPE IS A KEEPER!!!

I’ve tried soooooooooo many recipes for cauliflower fried rice, and Jenn you did it again!! this is the BEST recipe!! My husband inhaled it and we both agreed I can finally STOP looking for new recipe. I think that vinegar & sesame oil at the end made a huge difference!!!

MODIFICATION: I threw in CELERY instead of PEAS (working with what I had on hand)

THANK YOU AGAIN for bringing new meals to my table!!

• — Barrie on October 16, 2020
  • Another 5 star recipe! Thanks so much for sharing your delicious and consistent food with my family. This was yummy! The only change – we added chopped ham to the stir fry. All Good!

• — Renee Orozco on October 14, 2020
  • Perfect recipe, spiced just like the real deal and easily adapted to keto.

• — Bebe on October 10, 2020
  • I love making this recipe and my family and I enjoy eating it! Easy to make and very delicious.

• — Roberta on October 5, 2020
  • Yum yum! I used frozen riced cauliflower. And added more veggies. Oooooooo good

• — Maura on October 1, 2020
  • This was excellent. I made it in a wok and added some shrimps at the end of the cooking for a main course.

• — Linda on September 27, 2020
  • Very delicious! I love how healthy and easy this was (I used frozen cauliflower rice). This blog has the most consistently delicious recipes- thank you Jenn!

• — Ellie on August 29, 2020
  • I have made this a few times now and it is great. This time due to what I have in the fridge I have added an additional 2 stalks of celery, 1 small red fresh pepper and semi-cooked carrots and but used frozen peas without carrots. Unfortunately I didn’t have nuts so I added pumpkin seeds instead. I had roasted chicken so I added this also. Due to additional ingredients I did add more of the seasonings. I have left-over for tomorrow. Happy camper can get more gardening done. Wait I am making my famous baby back ribs, which takes about 9 hours, forget my gardening again but I will add the chicken to only part of this dish so I have the fried rice on the side of the ribs tomorrow. This is great. I do Chinese cooking and know how to adjust a recipe if needed.

• — barbara on August 18, 2020
  • Awesome! Delicious turned out great

• — Lisa on August 1, 2020
  • I made this recipe for my family’s dinner the day before yesterday, adding a bit of leftover roast chicken to it, and we three adults consumed almost the entire recipe! It was quite tasty, and the texture was very much like actual rice. I’m certain this won’t be the last time I serve this wonderful dish, nor the end of my variations on it. Bravo!

• — James Livingston on July 23, 2020
  • I love this delicious recipe. My husband has requested this dish at least once a week. In addition, it has trimmed our waistline. I’ve always added chicken. Other than that, this recipe is great as written.

• — Nadia on July 11, 2020
  • I love this recipe as I saw it first on 101recipes.com. Tastes fine. Thanks Jenn for these wonderful recipes.

• — Crisgold on June 20, 2020
  • I used 10 oz bags of “cooks in the bag“ frozen riced cauliflower and frozen peas and carrots. Proportions were good and the recipe was delicious! Don’t skip the fresh grated ginger and nuts. I used cashews. Will make this often!

• — Neill on June 8, 2020
  • I am trying to follow a low carb diet and am trying recipes to make cauliflower taste good. This was delicious, fast, and easy. I substituted monk fruit for the sugar. This will be my go to recipe and would be great with chicken or pork.

• — SHARON G on May 31, 2020
  • So I made it and it was delicious! Thanks for the tips!
    Yolanda

• — Yolanda on May 31, 2020
  • This was amazing!!! I added the peanuts, which was a nice touch!

• — Karen on May 27, 2020
    • Hi Jen,
      I love ALL of your recipes! So wanna make tonight and have a question. When you say “ready to use” cauliflower do you mean not frozen? I’ve seen some riced cauliflower in the produce section before but wondering if I can make this with frozen or unfrozen cauliflower? Will eventually make with fresh cauliflower.
      Thanks!

• — Yolanda on May 28, 2020
      • Hi Yolanda, Frozen is fine; just defrost it first. So glad you like the recipes! 🙂

• — Jenn on May 28, 2020
        • So, did you use dark soy sauce? Asking because mine turned out really dark with it. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow with a head of cauliflower. Maybe use regular soy sauce meaning Pearl River Light soy sauce or maybe kikkoman low sodium? Any feedback appreciated!

Thanks
          Yolanda

• — Yolanda on May 28, 2020
          • Hi Yolanda, I do use dark soy sauce for this, but any soy sauce will do. If you use a low sodium variety, you may need to add a little salt to taste before serving.

• — Jenn on May 29, 2020